Cease the Size

The lack of consistency in the sizing of clothes is no secret. Each brand establishes it’s own list of measurements. A size 8 of Brand A may have a completely different set of measurements for the chest, waist and hip in comparison to a size 8 of Brand B. Even brands that are grouped under the same fashion retailer can have very different measurements for each of its sizes.

Let’s use the Sussan Group as an example; a leading fashion retailer that is widely popular in Australia and New Zealand. Whilst this group consists of three different brands- Sportsgirl, Sussan and Suzanne Grae, each of these three brands are catered to a different age group. Accordingly, as Sportsgirl is designed for young girls in their teens and 20’s, their size 12 is much smaller than a size 12 in Sussan or Suzanne Grae, which are designed for women in their middle-ages and for mature women respectively. To put simply, the sizes of clothing can sometimes just be a way to market clothing to a targeted group.

Nevertheless, we like to put our trust in a number. Because numbers allow us to keep track of whether or not we’ve gained or lost weight- supposedly anyway. Because it’s something so simple, so clear-cut, so definite. It’s not uncommon these days to hear statements like “I want to trim down to a size 6 by December” or “I went up by two sizes after my holiday trip.”

Why though? There’s so much fuss over a number that doesn’t even really mean anything- a number nobody even SEES unless they’re washing your clothes.

So I’d now like to chuck in another quote that is both totally inappropriate and appropriate- “size doesn’t matter.”

Which is probably another reason why I love thrift shops and its nondiscriminatory sizing. When thrift shopping, try on all different types of sizes. You might become pleasantly surprised by the unintentional ways that you can wear particular clothes. Be experimental!

Here, I’m wearing some giant size 16 patterned shirt as a jacket I found from Salvos. ย I’m also wearing the waist belt of one of my shorts as a tie for this blouse from Dangerfieldย and pairing it with black shorts I upcycled a while ago that were once long pants. Both the black boots and the satchel once belonged to my mum.

17 Comments

• Reply Rachel March 2, 2017 at 3:01 pm

Such a lovely outfit! Great combo!

• Reply micromaria March 6, 2017 at 12:14 pm

Thank you!

• Reply Miri March 6, 2017 at 7:37 am

I totally love this look on you. I like that you wear an oversized shirt as a jacket- so original!
    X
    Miri

• Reply micromaria March 6, 2017 at 12:14 pm

Thanks Miri!

• Reply Nikki Living Life March 6, 2017 at 4:50 pm

Great post. I totally agree with you on size. Love your outfit. You look super cute. Love the blouse. Great job using the belt as a tie. Very creative.

Xx
    Nikki

• Reply micromaria March 7, 2017 at 11:34 am

Thanks Nikki! Haha I was hoping no one would notice I was using a belt as a tie all day :’) Nobody seemed to notice.

• Reply Ramona March 7, 2017 at 12:38 am

the difference in sizing are not just every brand, but every brand’s garment. I have worked in retail. because garments have been made in different countries. You look so cute. I love how you transformed big shirt into jacket.
    xoxo
    Ramona

• Reply micromaria March 7, 2017 at 11:35 am

Wow, I didn’t even know that- thank you for sharing!

• Reply PerlaGiselle March 7, 2017 at 5:49 am

YES! I love this and I agree 100%!! We need to put less importance on size, but how can this be done with so many retailers and their standards?
    -PerlaGiselle
    iamperlita.com

• Reply micromaria March 7, 2017 at 11:47 am

I agree that many retailers push to construct particular beauty standards, particularly through advertisements. I think that overcoming self-inflicted insecurities about our ‘size’ is something that can only be done on an individual level, and how we overcome it varies for different people. One way we can put less importance on size though is by realising that what is considered the beauty standards is always ephemeral, constantly changing, and even sometimes contradicting.

Throughout the ages, society has adored the boy-ish figure of the roaring twenties, the curvaceous pin-up dolls, the defined and athletic physique of the ideal Ancient Greeks, etc. Beauty standards, then, are just mere phases- and we are so much better than just comparing ourselves to ‘trends’ in what people view as ‘ideal.’

• Reply Stephanie March 7, 2017 at 6:00 am

Hey you are looking good like a doll ๐Ÿ™‚
    Please see Dhgate Coupon Check out this recent blog by me top 5 breathtakingly beautiful spring attire by lulus coupon

• Reply Lisa March 7, 2017 at 2:31 pm

Cool style! Looks a bit hooligan, but from this only more cute.

• Reply Amber Baker March 8, 2017 at 4:13 am

I completely agree! I always feel a bit sad when someone talks about wanting to fit into a certain size, or they’re embarrassed of being another size. The numbers don’t matter at all. What matters is the fit, and fit depends on the overall vision of a look. I’ve been known to purchase maternity pieces for a perfectly oversized look, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

This is a fantastic post!

Amber – amberelb.com

• Reply Amber Baker March 8, 2017 at 4:14 am

And your outfit here is styled flawlessly! I adore it!

• Reply Liz March 8, 2017 at 5:09 pm

I love this look! And this tally agree with the sizing issue. A lot of brands are using vanity sizing nowadays but if we could get past the number and just find items that fit appropriately, everything would be much better.

Liz

• Reply Gemma March 9, 2017 at 12:05 pm

Gorgeous outfit! I love the bow tie blouse.

Gemma x

• Reply Kate March 9, 2017 at 9:51 pm

This outfit is fab, and definitely proof that size matters so much less than fit! x

Kate Louise Blogs